Here are some great questions to ask potential child care providers:
- What is your philosophy about how young children learn?
- What is your favorite thing about working with children?
- What is your least favorite thing about working with children?
- How do you decide which activities to do with the children?
- Do you use any type of curriculum or assessment?
- How long have you been working with children and have you completed any education related to child development?
- How many children do you typically care for at one time?
- What is your typical daily schedule like?
- How do you handle temper tantrums and behavior challenges?
- What kinds of communication can I expect from you?
These 10 questions can tell you a lot about a provider’s level of experience and professionalism, as well as their temperament. If you are looking for child care for your own children, consider asking them as part of your provider interview. If you have friends and family members who regularly ask you what to look for when choosing child care – because they know that you know the field – then this is the perfect list to share!